Saturday, June 14, 2008

Gemstones

On our trip to the park I found some garnet deposits. I believe they are the common almandine garnet's but a professional would have to confirm that. Last year a friend of mine took me to a spot were the rock was full of the garnets within the municipal boundaries. Spent most of a Saturday afternoon picking at the rock to get some of them out. I still have a cup full of them on the refrigerator. These types of garnet are fairly common in the world as far as gemstones go so their value is reflective of that. It's still a lot of fun to discover a deposit and if you have nothing better to do, go and hammer on the rock for a few hours and take home some souvenirs. The arrows in the picture below show the deposits of the garnets that have been exposed by the tides and weather. They really stick out if you know what to look for.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta get me one, love the rock formations and the color