Monday, June 9, 2008

Distant Precipitation

There is always misinformation regarding the north and one of those is that the Inuit have 20 different names for snow. Actually all languages have different names for precipitation for example slush, blizzard, drizzle, downpour, hail, blowing snow, etc. are all names for rain/snow precipitation.

Well today as I was looking up the weather forecast for the week and the local weather conditions, as observed at the Cape Dorset Airport at 2:14 pm EDT today, state the weather condition as "Distant Precipitation". I guess the precipitation is coming down but it isn't very engaging. Yes I know that it probably means that there is rain/snow in the distant coming towards us or going by us but the description is what I find amusing. Distant precipitation LOL.

It is little things like this that put a smile on my face and remind me how much I love it here.

No comments: